Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Recovering the Office Catch-all Room

I have a love hate relationship with my office catch-all room. 

I love it, because I spend a LOT of the day there, and I'm glad to have an area to put my desk, school shelves, etc.

I hate the room because it is out in the open and seems to be the room where things go that no one knows where else to put it!  It's *almost* worse then my store room since at least the stuff in the store room was taken there because I at least *thought* I wanted to keep it.

My desk is the proverbial dumping ground for all the stuff that the kids don't know where it goes, and I often find myself doing the same.  There's also just a TON of surfaces for things to get put on and then attract more clutter.  It is certainly our most cluttered room.

I have to be honest, that I'm going to explain what I did the first time around. I'm also going to be 100% honest and tell you that it doesn't look much better then it did after the first week.  Unlike some of the other rooms, I have not been diligent to maintain it and it has continued to re-collect clutter.

The biggest thing that I did was to start with our bookshelves.  I cleared off one shelf a day-completely.  I did go ahead and dust it, and then only replace it with the things that would go there.  If the bookshelf held books, I made sure there were only the correct amount of books on the shelf and not piled on top of the pile or sitting in front of the books (which was what was is still happening).  

I tried to remove everything that didn't belong on the shelves.  Some of it had another home.  Things that didn't have another home got put in a box in the store room.  I was not decluttering, so I didn't sort it, but the fact of the matter was that I simply COULD NOT just leave all the stuff that didn't fit on the shelves.  

My desk was the other goal.  I cleared off the entire desk.  I threw away a ton of stuff (where does it all come from?).  I then got a basket and put it on the side of my desk to hold the items I wanted to work on.  

I didn't go through the drawers.  I didn't pull out any furniture.  I didn't pull out the couch (mostly because it has a broken leg and I couldn't).  

Unlike the other rooms, I really didn't come up with a good daily plan.  I try to pick up the dishes (cups) off my desk daily, and I have been trying to keep things from pooling on the floor in front of my desk.  I also try to keep the floor picked up and the coffee table cleared off.  

As I look around the room, it is REALLY hard to type this.  I simply don't feel like I've conquered this room much at all.  So, I guess I am going to have to make a point to start over on this room.  Really, I have to.

I'm glad I am blogging about this.  My goals have been 1.  Clean up the room and 2.  Maintain a reasonably picked up status.  I DID complete number 1.  But, I've done such a bad job at 2, that I would not say I did 1.

Going forward, I will be adding a shelf a day to my to do list.  It may take awhile, but at least I will be able to see progress being made.  I hope!  And, YES, it needs to be decluttered, but that's the second level of cleaning for me.  I'm not there yet in this room.

I'll keep you updated!

God Bless,

Lisa






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you are being honest with how the rooms are going!! I think realizing something isn't work is a good step..and now to try a different solution!

Angie Schott said...

Your office sounds just like my office. I've been meaning to get back in there to finish organizing it for months and have yet to do it. I can't wait to hear how you figure it out!

Michele said...

Little steps! You are doing great!